Admission into Bachelor’s degree programmes in the Faculty of Engineering is through the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) or Direct Entry by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).
UNIVERSITY MATRICULATION ENTRY MODE
Candidates seeking admission must have a minimum of five credits in not more than two sittings, in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, and any other two relevant subjects to the programme in the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSCE) or its approved equivalent by Federal Ministry of Education. Such a candidate must also have an acceptable pass in the University Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
Candidates seeking admission into the Department by Direct Entry should possess, in addition to ordinary level requirement, one of the following:
- General Certificate of Education at Advanced Level in at least two relevant subjects.
- Ordinary National Diploma (OND) with a minimum of Lower Credit in relevant Sciences and Engineering discipline from recognized institutions for admission into 200 level.
- Higher National Diploma (HND) with a minimum of Lower Credit in relevant Science and Engineering discipline from a recognized Institution for admission into 300 level.
- Transfer Candidates: Students may be allowed to transfer into 200 or 300 level of the programme provided.
- They satisfy the University Conditions for transfer.
- Vacancies exist in the Department of interest.
DURATION OF PROGRAMMES IN THE FACULTY OF ENGINEERING
The Faculty of Engineering offers a 5-year degree programme for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) candidates while Direct Entry candidates with OND or HND Certificates are expected to complete the programme in 4 or 3 years respectively.
MINIMUM DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
- The minimum number of course units for the award of honours degree shall be 150.
- 150 course units, including all the compulsory courses, shall be used in the computation of the class of the degree.
- All the compulsory courses must be taken and passed.
- The minimum number of course units for the award of honours degree shall be 150 and for a Pass degree it shall be 125 units.
- The degree shall be awarded with honours provided an undergraduate obtains a G.P.A that is not less than 1.5 and satisfies other minimum honours degree requirements.
The classification of the overall performance of each student shall be based on Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) system.
Class of Degree
First Class Honours
4.50 – 5.00
Second Class Honours (Upper Division)
3.50 – 4.49
Second Class Honours (Lower Division)
2.40 – 3.49
Third Class Honours
1.50 – 2.39